June 12, 2008

Real Salt Lake

We went to a Real Salt Lake (pronounced "re-Al") soccer game with some friends and family last Saturday. We had tickets for Zions bank box seats, which was also catered by a excellent local BBQ joint.

As I watched and enjoyed the game I realized that I didn't pursue a lot of the things I was interested in, in part because of my brothers likes and dislikes had a huge part in what I spent my time on. So as I watched these athletes run around for over an hour and a half I was impressed with there stamina and endurance. Most of both teams played the entire game.

In all the sports I played growing up I peeked at around 8th or 9th grade. Right around the time people started the puberty thing is when my crazy good skill became mediocre. I ended up not having the drive to compete for the first string or the best positions because I had to work to get them, they weren't handed to me.

So I find myself sitting in the stands telling myself "I could be down there" or "what is that guy thinking? I could do better than that!" then I start to entertain the thought of actually working out, getting in shape, being better than most, then reality sets in.

In an alternate universe this post was about how fun sporting events are to attend, regardless of what sport. I went to a SLC Bee's baseball game a Utah Blaze Arena football game and now a Real SL game and had a great time at all of them. I think its the thrill of the competition that makes it enjoyable for me.

1 comment:

Sycamore Girl said...

I'd be there cheering you on babe- if you joined some local community soccer team. -Like I did in I.F. Its a TON of fun and a great workout- but you go because it is funner to be IN the competition than it is to just be in the stands watching.

Maybe we should join a gym.

Its sort of like life. Three kinds of players. Or is it two. I forget. But you know what I mean.